Project AWARE suggest that you can take a single use plastic pledge that involves EIGHT EASY WAYS to help transition into a no-plastic world. It starts with eradicating the use of single-use plastics and curbing the use of any plastics in everyday life.
Eight easy ways for you to reduce your use of single-use plastics.
- Say “no straw please” when ordering drinks. Plastic straws are one of the most common types of debris found underwater and on beaches.
- Use reusable tote bags when shopping. We prefer recycled cotton or canvas bags.
- Try going plastic-free for a week or a month. Read about one diver’s plastic-free month.
- Wear natural fibres. When they’re washed, synthetic fabrics can shed microfibers that enter our water system and eventually reach the ocean.
- Swap plastic wrap for beeswax paper. Cover leftovers or wrap up your lunch with this reusable, sustainable alternative.
- Bring your own coffee mug, water bottle and cutlery. Say ‘no’ to plastic lids and bottles – carry your own for on the go.
- Keep plastic out of your home. From blenders to ice cube trays, opt for glass or stainless steel appliances and containers. And switch to bars for shampoo and soap.
- Make your pet plastic-free too. Purchase toys and pet furniture made of natural materials. Bamboo, sisal and cardboard are great, healthy options for your active kitties and pups.
Project AWARE is a global movement for ocean protection powered by a community of adventurers. We connect the passion for ocean adventure with the purpose of marine conservation to create lasting change.
Nina Munteanu is a Canadian ecologist / limnologist and novelist. She is co-editor of Europa SF and currently teaches writing courses at George Brown College and the University of Toronto. Visit www.ninamunteanu.ca for the latest on her books. Nina’s bilingual “La natura dell’acqua / The Way of Water” was published by Mincione Edizioni in Rome. Her non-fiction book “Water Is…” by Pixl Press (Vancouver) was selected by Margaret Atwood in the New York Times ‘Year in Reading’ and was chosen as the 2017 Summer Read by Water Canada. Her novel “A Diary in the Age of Water” will be released by Inanna Publications (Toronto) in 2020.